During and after an emergency, Americans come together with courage and caring. People want to help. There are many ways to get involved before an emergency happens. People can help through programs and activities to their families, homes and communities safer from risks and threats. Leaders know that the way to having a safer area is to have people – volunteers – help out. It helps an area to have people know what to do. This helps local fire fighters, police and medical staff. Really bad emergencies can overcome fire, police and medical agencies. Here are ways to help.
- Volunteer to help emergency efforts in your area. Learn how to help.
- Offer your help by joining a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), Medical Reserve Corps unit and/or other Citizen Corps Partner Program or similar group.
- Many local faith-based and community groups have ways to be active in supporting disasters too.
- View more volunteer opportunities.
- Be part of the community planning process. Join and work with your local emergency planning group, Citizen Corps Council or local emergency management agency. Contact your nearest planning organization.
- Join or start a preparedness project. Find an event or look up local resources, build a team, choose a project, set goals and serve your community. Get started.
- Give money or goods to help with the clean up after a very bad emergency. Learn more.
These are only a few ways that people and local groups can get involved to help an area get ready for and recover from an emergency. Send us any other ideas or stories. You can also post them on http://community.fema.gov.
For other ways that may be unique to your area, contact your local emergency management agency or citizen corps council in your area.
Title for Tab 1
Tab 1 content
Title for Tab 2
Tab 2 content
Title for Tab 3
Tab 3 content
Title for Tab 4
Tab 4 content
Title for Tab 5
Tab 5 content
Title for Tab 6
Tab 6 content
Title for Tab 7
Tab 7 content
Title for Tab 8
Tab 8 content
Title for Tab 9
Tab 9 content
Title for Tab 10
Tab 10 content